In this episode, we talk to Ted McClure, Manager at TribSys LLC, who discusses his interview for the feature article on advanced ultra high-strength steel (A-UHSS) that appeared in the July issue of Tribology & Lubrication Technology. We get some more information on some of his recent work including the project with the Auto-Steel Partnership, providing more depth on the article.
To provide some background, A-UHSS is revolutionizing the auto industry due to low weight, high strength and ability to absorb and repel energy. Its unique properties allow it to meet new requirements and standards, yet this material requires specialized lubrication considerations. According to the American Iron and Steel Institute, "advanced high-strength steels (AHSS) require less energy and emissions to produce than other automotive structural materials, make lighter parts that reduce vehicle weight and increase fuel economy, and are fully recyclable."
To find out more about this unique material, click the slider bar above to play the episode now, download the episode, or read (and translate) the transcript. You can read the article here, or read the entire issue and explore the archives here.
- STLE website for articles, research and information on A-UHSS and related topics
- American Iron and Steel Institute
- Steel Market Development Institute
- Presentation that highlights some of Ted's work with the Auto-Steel Partnership
- Ted's Metalforming chapter, in the STLE Tribology Data Handbook, 2nd Edition
- TLT article on "Energy Efficient Automobiles," covering other methods that manufacturers and suppliers are developing to increase energy efficiency