In this episode, we talk to Dan Snyder who discusses the interrelated forces that come into play when selecting and utilizing bearings. Having worked in the industry for 50 years, Dan has seen many changes and improvements that have greatly affected bearing performance. We take advantage of his experience while covering his thoughts on ISO 281:2007, bearing life factors, things to consider for different applications, and his advice for OEMs and end users. Click on the slider bar to play the episode in your screen, download the episode, or read and translate the transcript.
Dan's best practices for extending bearing life: "Be sure you identify the actual operating conditions for the bearing and select your lubrication accordingly. Use a good quality bearing from a reputable supplier, use recommended practices for both installation and lubrication and be aware how changes in machine use can affect bearing life. Today, maintaining the proper lubricant quality and cleanness through a rigorous condition monitoring program can go a long way."
What are your best practices?
STLE is dedicated to providing you with up-to-date information on the latest developments in the tribology community. Visit our website for more news and information on extending bearing life, and look below for resources to spark further discussion and debate, or just get informed on the key issues and concepts.
- Article: Selecting Rolling Element Bearings for Modern Applications - includes a quick-reference list of factors to consider at each stage of the bearing selection process
- Article: Optimizing Bearing Service Life - offers specific strategies on how to extend bearing life in practice
- Article: When Bad Things Happen to Good Bearings - key questions that form a simple guide you can use to diagnose a problem
- Article: Updating DaVinci: The Role of Computers in Bearing Design - includes interviews with 5 STLE members on their perspective and the evolution of bearing design
- Article: Lubricant Selection: Bearings, Gear Drives and Hydraulics - includes detail on lubricants and additives to use with different bearing types
- Article: An Engineering Guide for Bearing Selection - covers a different perspective on selection, including information on all types of bearings
- Article: ISO 281:2007 Bearing Life Standard: And the Answer Is? - an interview with some of those involved with the development of the standard, presenting their case in favor of it
- Article: In Search of a Fatigue Limit: A Critique of ISO 281:2007 - presents the argument for a lack of data to support the standard, and why it should be withdrawn
- Book: Life Factors for Rolling Bearings (on CD) - edited by Erwin Zaretsky and covers failure modes, materials and processing, bearing load, lubrication, and application of life factors. 300 pages. Available for purchase in the STLE Store
- Webinar: Bearing Damage Analysis with Dr. Paul Shiller - presentation covering how to analyze, diagnose and prevent bearing damage. Available for purchase in the STLE Store