Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Wow, 70 years!

It doesn’t seem that long ago that the STLE celebrated 50 years with fireworks in Pittsburgh (1994) and held the 50th Annual Meeting in Chicago the following year (Editor’s Note: we’ll be in Chicago again in 2020 for our 75th anniversary).  I joined the STLE 24 years ago and have enjoyed every minute.  My only regret is that I didn’t join earlier in my career.  I attended my first Annual Meeting in Denver in 1990 and took advantage of several excellent education courses along with the technical sessions.  I was pleasantly surprised to find the same sense of family and camaraderie between the attendees at the Annual Meeting as I was quickly finding within the local Alberta Section. 

Due to the great people involved with the Alberta Section at that time, and my normal commitment to help whenever I can, it didn’t take very long for me to jump in head first.  Within no time I was helping out the Alberta Section as a Program Director and have continued on the Section executive ever since.  In addition, I quickly found myself helping out internationally on one of the Industry Councils and more recently, on the Education Committee. 

This year will be 20 years since I successfully challenged the CLS exam and about 9 years ago for the OMA.   The CLS, OMA as well as the other STLE certification programs have been a great addition to the Society and have also helped members develop and measure their lubrication knowledge.

For the last 6 years I have had the sincere pleasure to serve the Society on the Board of Directors.  I really didn’t think it was possible that my association with the society, and its members, could get any better than it already was but being able to work on the Board has truly been an honor.   I would also like to take the opportunity to thank the STLE Staff.  Their time and dedication is second to none.

Being an active member of the STLE has truly been a pleasure.  The number of benefits that I personally have received from the STLE are too numerous to count.  The depth of knowledge that I have absorbed from the Society and from my participating colleagues has made a significant contribution on my career path and status today. It would be an understatement to suggest that I wouldn't be in my present job if it wasn't for the influence of the STLE on my lubrication knowledge and personal development.

Happy 70th Birthday STLE.  I’m so glad I got to witness the last 24 years, and I wish I could ride along for the next 70 to come.

-Paul Hetherington, Petro-Canada Lubricants, Inc., STLE Board Member

No comments:

Post a Comment